Planning and Development

Planning and Development are matters for the Council and generally I do not get involved in planning applications other than to survey local opinion and pass onto the Council to help make its decision. Please contact me if you think your road could benefit from being surveyed for their views on a planning application.

If you want to support or object to a planning application, then you can register your opinions online by visiting and searching for the planning application you are interested in. Otherwise you can write to London Borough of Sutton, Planning Division, 24 Denmark Road, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 2JG or email

If the planning application you are interested in shows as being ‘DELEGATED’ on the online planning portal, then that means the decision on whether to approve or refuse the application has been left to Council officers and not your elected councillors. However, you can ask one of your local ward councillors to request that the planning application be ‘de-delegated, which means the Council’s planning committee, made up of elected councillors, will make the decision instead. You can find out who your ward councillors are here:

If you disagree with a decision to approve or refuse a planning application, you may be able to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate here:

If you feel that due process was not followed, you can make a complaint via the Council’s official complaints process. See ‘Other Council Issues’ for more details.

If you feel a building is being used outside what is has planning permission for or is being built differently to what was approved, you can ask the Planning Enforcement team to investigate here: